Thursday, September 6, 2007

Leaving Paradise

It is official, Victor and I have 2/3 of our SE Asia trip behind us. It's little difficult to believe, but I am trying not to think of it too much. Instead I adopt the attitude of the Buddhist monks of Bangkok (praticing the Theravada school of Buddhism), who reminded us this afternoon of the importance of living in the present...

...but I must diverge from my meditative practice to provide you with an update of our past week.

We left Koh Samui after extending our stay sunburnt but (reluctantly) satisfied. It can be difficult to walk away from paradise, but essentially that's what we did. We left the amazing architecture of the Jungle Club with its view of the eastern half of the idyllic island, our amazing hosts, the perfectly white sand, delicious Thai cuisine, beachside massages, sparkling salty seawater, the setting-off of Chinese firecrackers and lanterns from our tableside durig a barefoot dinner under the stars (really happened), temperate breezes beneath palm trees, the adventurous four-by-four drive to our high-set hotel from sea-level, the too-good-to-be-true scenery including nature-made underwater aquariums, etc. etc.

I have to stop because I am making myself jealous. (And I fear for you, my dear reader.)

A few events made it barely possible to walk away. These included (in no particular order) rapidly-developing sunburn of the 3rd degree, continual pestering by sympathetic beach-hawkers, Victor kicking a jellyfish in the head a half hour before departure (and developing swollen tentacle-sores on his arm as a result), the absence of certain notable goods we were hoping to find (to all the beach-hawkers reading this site, this does not include cheaply-made shell bracelets too small for American wrists or obvious-imitation Buddhas sold as discovered artifacts). Of course, everything considered it wasn't that bad...(I really warmed up to the beach-hawkers by the end), and it may be the the closest I ever get to paradise. (If you're not convinced, we have more pictures.)

More soon.

Love,

JJ

4 comments:

The Path Less Travelled said...

Hey, you two! You've got some really great shots of Thailand. N Koh Samui looked so romantic. I've been there. Stayed at the Princess Resort. Don't think it's there any more. Was the Jungle Club expensive by Malaysian Ringgit standards? Hmmm, it would most certainly be a wretched place to visit all by my lonesome self!

Unknown said...

Great pictures. I know you two are having the adventure of your lives--savor the time. We will all be looking forward to your return (especially your folks) so we can enjoy all of the adventures vicariously. Stay safe.

Mary and Dave Tydgat

Richard Rortvedt said...

This does sound like a tropical paradise (except for the jellyfish sting and sunburn). Perhaps we can arrange a visit together to Costa Rica's tropical paradise (yes, I can promise monkeys!).

Drew said...

Victor, I'm glad it was the "tentacles" that were swollen.